The Code Interpreter – not new, but available
July 24, 2023
Although not actually new as it has been available since March, the Code Interpreter triggers a wave of euphoria. When it was announced as a plugin in the spring, its usage scenarios were just as impressive as they are now:
- Fixing ChatGPT's computational weakness and solving math problems
- Analyze and visualize data
- Convert files to other formats
Now it is directly integrated into ChatGPT. ChatGPT Plus offers it as a beta feature that still has to be activated for each new chat. But this is already learned since the plugins.
The Code Interpreter especially fires the imagination regarding the handling of data. Five examples of uploaded Excel workbooks that impressed me:
- Instant visualization: When prompted for elementary visualizations, the code interpreter conveys all the steps of data exploration that would normally take hours or days.
- Housecleaning: Cleaning up data is tedious and time-consuming. Code Interpreter takes care of that either entirely or as instructed.
- Heatmaps: A picture is worth a thousand words is especially true here: the distribution of data related to location is shown on a map in different colors.
- Stakeholder questions: The details are prepared, but you are not prepared for the general question about the average project costs and do not have the data at hand. The Code Generator helps to calculate everything ad hoc, which one has not thought of.
- And finally: Just ask what the Code Interpreter notices about your own data. Amazing things come to light that you wouldn't have thought of on your own.
This shows once again: Generative AI offers an incredible number of possibilities for new things. It is brought to life by the ingenuity of the users, who transform the use cases into useful tools.